January 19, 2011 1 Comment
AMD recently just announced it’s new line of APUs (Accelerated Processing Units) which are essentially a CPU (Processor) and GPU (Graphic Processor) into one chip. The chip is expected to drive the price of portable computers such as netbooks and notebooks lower while not sacrificing the performance. It is expected to perform much much better especially when compared to Intel Atom netbooks.
Acer is one of the first manufacturers to sell a AMD based notebook here in Malaysia. It’s called the Acer Aspire 4253. The specs are below:
- AMD E-350 (1 MB L2 cache, 1.60 GHz, DDR3 1066 MHz, 18 W)
- ATI Radeon™ HD 6310 Graphics, supporting Unified Video Decoder 3 (UVD3), OpenCL™ 1.1, OpenGL® 3.1, OpenEXR High Dynamic-Range (HDR) technology, Shader Model 5.0, Microsoft® DirectX® 11
- 14′ HD 1366 x 768 pixel resolution, high-brightness (200-nit) Acer CineCrystal™ TFT LCD, 16:9 aspect ratio
- 320GB SATA HDD
- 2GB DDR3 RAM (upgradeable to 8GB)
- Gigabit Ethernet, Wake-on-LAN ready
- Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR
- Acer InviLink™ Nplify™ 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ supporting Acer SignalUp™ wireless technology
- 8X DVD Super Multi Plus Drive
- Multi-gesture touchpad, supporting two-finger scroll, pinch, rotate, flip
- Acer Crystal Eye webcam, 1280 x 1024 resolution
- Built-in mono speaker with high-definition audio support
- 48.8 W 4400 mAh 6-cell Li-ion standard battery pack
- 2-in-1 card reader (SD™, MMC)
- Three USB 2.0 ports
- HDMI™ port with HDCP support, External display (VGA) port
- Headphone/speaker/line-out jack , Microphone-in jack
- 342 (W) x 249 (D) x 28.5/33.5 (H) mm
- 2.2 kg (4.85 lbs.)
It is priced at RM1349 to RM1399. The battery is expected to able to last the Acer Aspire 4253 for around 4 hours.
I’m actually quite excited to see AMD Fusion based computers appearing here but i don’t find the specs for this Acer Aspire 4253 interesting. Honestly, i was expecting to see more ultraportables with screens around 12″ carry the AMD Fusion instead of this bigger 14″ laptop . Currently the 12″ screen category has limited choices, examples such as the Asus EeePC 1215 and Dell M101z often come to mind.
For 14″ screens around the RM1.3k price, you can expect to find much more choices, often with more CPU capability (AMD P-320 @ 2.1Ghz or P-340 @ 2.2ghz ) than the E-350 @ 1.6ghz on the Acer 4253. This is to drive productivity when working on a bigger screen. A few models which i can name are the Asus A42N-VX023, Compaq CQ42-304AU, Lenovo G465 or Acer Aspire A552.
If you are interested to try out the new AMD Fusion platform, check out these online stores: